Women in Gymnastics Rising to the Occasion
Gymnastics Victoria has recently secured $90,000 from the Victorian Government to participate in the 2012-14 Women in Sport and Recreation (WISAR) program. The WISAR program is a state-wide initiative aimed at increasing the capacity of women to achieve by affecting change within the sport and recreation workforce. Gymnastics Victoria plans to deliver a comprehensive developmental and leadership program for females engaged in all levels of gymnastics from frontline delivery to senior management and governance.
This three year program, branded Women in Gymnastics Rising to the Occasion will take participants on a journey of personal development, relationship building and empowerment. Participants will develop, apply and share their talent within the industry cultivating a long term shift in perceptions of the value of women in gymnastics. The program will work towards achieving the following objectives;
- A significant increase in the number of accredited women working as frontline operators in gymnastics particularly in the areas of Sport Aerobics & Cheerleading
- A significant increase in the number of women acting in a professional capacity as senior administrators and business leaders capable of driving the sport to the forefront of success
- A highly talented and skilled pool of suitable women to contend for positions on the Gymnastics Victoria Board or Technical Committees and member club Committees of Management
- A sustainable alumni network of women embedded throughout all levels of gymnastics that actively engage in networking, mentoring and collaborative planning
- A notable culture shift to reach a point where females in gymnastics recognise, embrace and progress through a long term career in the sport working in unison through shared passion and a common goal
Gymnastics Victoria is in the process of establishing a steering committee that will oversee the delivery of the WISAR program. In the coming months Gymnastics Victoria will open the door for women in gymnastics. The following activities and opportunities will be made available to aspiring women within the gymnastics industry;
FREE coaching courses in Sport Aerobics & Cheerleading
- A business development seminar series customised for Women in Gymnastics
- Good governance programs for females on Technical Committees and club Committees of Management
- Project funding to empower women acting in various capacities within the industry
- Annual alumni functions for program participants
Gymnastics Victoria plans to showcase the success of the WISAR program through a public relations campaign branded ‘Champions of Change’. This campaign will highlight the value of women in gymnastics and share the stories program participants and notable women that have been influential in shaping gymnastics within Victoria.